Saturday, August 9, 2008

Berkeley, CA to Jerome, ID

Ugh. This town sucks. I hate it here. I'm glad my only commitment to this town is to watch 4 hours of the olympics and sleep. Then I can leave. I'm in Jerome, ID, which is very close to Twin Falls, which also sucks, though not as bad. Riding through Twin Falls, I was behind some souped up hatchback with stickers on the back windshield of shotguns whose barrels crossed. After I realized that those tacky decals were, I stopped riding the guy's ass. Actually, I think it might have been a woman. or man with a mullet. I don't know.

Earlier today, I stopped to use the rest room at a gas station. In Winnemucca. I know I swore I'd never go back, but it was necessary. So when I walked into the gas station, immediately on the left was a room with slot machines. Awesome. But there was also a subway. It smelled delicious, but I had just eaten In-N-Out in Reno a few hours ago and was not hungry. So I passed and vowed to get some later.

Later came when I arrived in Jerome. There is a subway about a mile from my hotel, so I went. Big mistake. Slowest two employees ever. I was there for 20 minutes and there was ONE person in front of me. Granted, he had two subs...but TWENTY MINUTES?!? They should really hire some immigrants, who would actually get something done. These white people sucked. But then again, I don't think there's anyone in this town who isn't white. It sucks. The subway sucked. In addition to the worst employees ever, the tomatoes looked like shit. Later, I found they tasted like shit. They'll be ripe next week, but not today. I immediately removed them. I don't think I'm a food snob and I don't expect perfection. I just expect a decent meal. It's Subway. They're all the same. How hard is it to make the same sub I eat in Carrboro? Apparently, it's impossible.

Enough of that. The part of my day was my hour in Reno. Having spent last weekend in Vegas, it was interesting to do a comparison when it was fresh in my mind. I have been to both before, but this trip only solidified my belief that Reno is a shitty, trashy Vegas. White trash heaven. Also, lots of old people. And fat people. So, in that way, it has it's charm. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at El Dorado. I just sat and played video poker for a little while. I really love that game. I liken it to when I play a million games of solitaire in a row. Except this requires more thinking, but I'm getting good at just doing things automatically. Love it. I can't wait to go back to Vegas. Not Reno.

I also ate at In-N-Out Burger for the last time. I might swear off fastfood cheeseburgers until I return to California. I'm not sure anyone should hold me to that. It would not include homemade burgers or those in sit-down restaurants. Just fast food, which I don't particularly eat anyway, except for Wendy's. But I could switch to the crispy chicken sandwich. I'll think on it some more.

So that was my day. Long and boring. Nevada is boring, boring, boring. As is Idaho. Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing Yellowstone National Park. I've been once before, as a disillusioned teenager who had been taken against my will on a family vacation. I'll appreciate it more this time, I'm sure. Okay, time for watching the olympics and weary break foot due to all the assholes who like to drive slow on the freeway.

One afterthought: the road rage was at an all time peak today. I was at a gas station, driving away from the pump and there was some assclown in front of my who wouldn't move and was blocking me in. So as I try to go around him, he inches up blocking my potential route. And then stops. The details are less important than the fact that I am yelling expletives at him and using lots of hand gestures (not my middle finger though), but I do believe I yelled Goddammit at the top of my lungs. All of a sudden, I hear someone honk lightly and some woman is running at me and pointing at my car. So I realize I left my gas tank open and hop out of my car, thank her politely and fix it and hop back in. I was a little embarrassed that someone would help me out after they just witnessed-and likely heard-me screaming at some old man in a buick. I'm an asshole.

No comments: